Thursday, December 1, 2016

Nonfiction Book Response

The nonfiction book that I'm currently reading is, Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom, I've only read a small section and it is about having a good marriage. Basically what the section is talking about is how you know you have a good marrriage and when you don't. It also connects with any religion you are in that it will/can help you overcome the thing that is destroying you and your significant other. In the 'Good Marriage' section of the book, it gives a problem and solution type of vibe to it.

A passage that I had seen that was interesting to me would be, "I think people expect too much from marriage today. They expect perfection. Every moment should be bliss. That's TV or movies. But that is not the human experience..-Like Sarah says, twenty good minutes here, forty good minutes there, it adds up to something beautiful. The trick is when things aren't so great, you don't junk the whole thing. It's okay to have an argument, It's okay that the other one nudges you a little, bothers you a little. It's part of being close to someone." The reason I chose this passage is because it is so true. This passage shows part of your life that you will receive soon enough. It is basically saying that just because someone you love annoys you or bothers you, doesn't mean you have to let it all(love, memories, laughter, happiness) go just because of that. We should hold on to someone like that because that's how you know they truly love you. Another passage I saw was, "...the joy you get from the same closeness - when you watch your children, when you wake up and smile at each other - that, as our tradition teaches us, is a blessing. People forget that...- Because the word 'commitment' has lost its meaning. I'm old enough to remember when it used to be a positive. A committed person was someone to be admired. He was loyal and steady. Now a commitment is something you avoid. You don't want to tie yourself down. - It's the same with faith, by the way. We don't want to get stuck having to go to services all the time, or having to follow all the rules. We don't want to commit to God. We'll take Him when we need Him, or when thing are going good. But real commitment? That requires staying power - in faith and in marriage." I chose this passage also to the fact that commitment isn't a scary thing, and that is what the passage is trying to say. Society all around us is stuck trying to be on our own and not be faithful/loyal. Our society now is lost and that is why so many of us believe that we cannot be saved.

After reading my nonfiction book, I know I won't forget most of the things I read within the section and within the entire book. When I was reading the section, 'Good Marriage', it gave a little nudge on marriage with religion. It taught me that our religion shouldn't hold us back from who we love or what we love. In the book, it basically said that our mind changes through the years we experience new things. The things we experience, whether good or bad will always have an effect. The effect then will give us the chance to grow. Being able to go through something so drastic and having the chance to grow is something I will not forget.
I commented on Dena's blog.
I commented on Vanessa's blog.
I commented on America's blog.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog Kiana. Also, it seems like an amazing book, I would consider reading it. I agree with you on paragraph 2. That's such a amazing passage from the book, I love it. I also love your opinion on it. You took what the book said and explained it on a (spiritual) different level. Anyways, I love your blog post, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, Lul Kiki. I appreciate that you read Mitch Albom, as well. I, myself. Like the author Mitch Albom. You made want to read this book and it's very appealing at the moment. I agree that our religion shouldn't hold us back to what we love and/or who we love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog was great. It was very interesting and fun to read about. I don't like reading so I wouldn't read this book. But it I did like reading I would read this book. I liked how you had descriptive words that helped make this short but at the same time it was very detailed.

    ReplyDelete